How to Cook a Whole Chicken in The Slow Cooker
Learning how to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker not only is economical, but also opens up many possibilities for chicken stock, salads, and weekday dinners. This recipe is extremely simple so you can use the chicken for a variety of different uses after cooking.
Number of Servings: 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 6-8 Hours
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup of water
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
2. After chicken is cooked fully, remove chicken and strain broth to freeze for future recipes calling for chicken stock. Carve chicken into pieces as desired.
Be sure when cooking your whole chicken that prior to cooking you check the inside of the chicken. Some butchers and grocers will have placed the various chicken parts into a plastic bag inside. You can either discard the bag or open the bag and add the chicken parts to the broth, but you definitely do not want to cook a whole chicken with plastic inside!
We recommend using organic, antibiotic-free chicken when possible.
Whole cooked chicken leftovers should be eaten within 2-3 days or frozen for future use.